Rising up together to live HAPPY- HEALTHY- PURPOSEFUL Lives

Monday 21 October 2019

Cinnamon Buns

DAIRY FREE CINNAMON BUNS
I was in this weird funk lately craving all the food and knowing that I shouldn't indulge lots in dairy, I was anyways. The way my sensitivity works is I look 6 months pregnant from bloat, I break out, I experience killer headaches and stomach pain, and I am super cranky. Sensitivities look different on everyone and can be different with different types of sensitivities.

I became lactose intolerant in grade 7 along with a gluten intolerance but that is a story for another time as it was one of the worst few months of my entire life. It wasn't until I started breastfeeding my 2nd son that he became super sensitive to milk protein through breastmilk, so I quit all dairy for nearly a year. 

After he had been weaned I was pumped for all the cheese and immediately my body rejected it which really sucked! I have been trying so hard to stay away from dairy but I will NEVER find a dairy free cheese that I will enjoy BUT I am starting to realize I can create delicious dairy free desserts and recipes.. You know so I can enjoy cheese here and there :p. 

Here is my recipe for the cinnamon buns I made and EVERYONE (hubs included) enjoyed them.

Tip-If you are trying to change your diet to "Clean'ish' " Clean meaning non processed, whole foods, it is a good idea to slowly make the change to get your family used to it. In these buns I use half white flour and half whole wheat. It is better than nothing right! 

Ingredients:
1C Unsweetened Almond Milk
2 Eggs
1/3C Earth Balance Vegan Spread
2 1/4C White Flour
2 1/4C Whole Wheat Flour
1t sea salt
1/4C Sugar or Honey
2 1/2t dry Active Yeast

Filling:
1C Brown Sugar
3T Cinnamon
1/3C Earth Balance Vegan Spread (or vegan butter of choice)

Caramel Sauce:
2/3C Brown Sugar
1/3C Earth Balance Vegan Spread (or vegan butter of choice)
1T Coconut Cream
1/2C crushed pecans (optional)

Directions:
-Grease 9x13 baking pan (I just use spray coconut or olive oil) and set aside
-In stand mixer combine your flour, yeast, salt and sugar (if using sugar) and mix together using dough hook.
-Next combine hot milk, melted butter,honey(if you didn't use white sugar) and eggs and add to the mixture. Mix until combine.
-If you are using the dough hook and stand mixer knead dough for 5 mins. If you are using a regular bowl, remove dough and knead of a floured surface for 5 mins.
-Place in a greased bowl and cover with tea towel and let rise about 30 mins or until it has doubled in size. If you have a bread proof button on your oven you can use that as well and place your bowl in the oven.
-While your dough is rising, you can make the caramel sauce. Add butter, cream and brown sugar into a sauce pan and bring to a boil. Once it is all boiled together, remove from heat and add to the bottom of the baking pan. If you are using nuts sprinkle them on top of the sauce.
-Once your dough has risen, turn out onto a floured surface and knead a couple times before splitting into two parts. 

-Roll into a rectangle and then using a pastry brush, brush half of the melted butter all over the dough followed by sprinkling half of the brown sugar and cinnamon on top as well. 

-Roll up the long side and then using a serrated knife, cut into sections and place into the baking dish on top of the sauce and repeat with the rest of the dough. 
-Cover and let rise until nearly doubled in size I place mine on the oven while I am preheating it and it helps for about 30 mins.
-Once ready place in your 400F preheated oven and bake for 14-18 mins until golden brown. Immediately turn pan upside down onto platter or parchment paper and enjoy! 

Remember, I love to hear when you make any of these recipes so be sure to tag me on social @KristieSeredaWellness IG or just Kristie Sereda on FB and use the tag #KSwellnessEats 

Don't forget to share this post to your social and pin it if you enjoy it!! #Sharingiscaring

XO Kristie 





Share:

No comments

Post a Comment

© Kristie Sereda Fit | All rights reserved.
Blogger Template Designed by pipdig