Rising up together to live HAPPY- HEALTHY- PURPOSEFUL Lives

Tuesday 26 July 2016

Fish Tacos


The first time I ever had fish Tacos was at Brown's Social House in Lethbridge.. a couple months ago.. I KNOW! I was TOTALLY missing out man. OH MY GOODNESS. I. Fell. In. Love. I am not a huge fan of trying new things.. ok, I used to be the one who didn't like to try new things but have started to branch out lately. 


These were FREAKING AMAZING! I figured I could try to make them at home. 


I tried with Basa and Salmon and both turned out great! 


Here is my recipe:


When you are eating clean there are a few words to stay away from- Pan Searing, Broiling, Breading, and Deep-Frying are some when it comes to meat.

I decided baking would be best or grilled would be amazing too! Geez, why didn't I think of that before! 


Fish Marinade Ingredients: 
2 Frozen basa fish fillets or any white mild fish ( works with Salmon as well)
2 tsp Lemon Dilly Seasoning ( Epicure) or just dill and some lemon juice 

1 tsp garlic powder
Dash Himalyian Pink Salt and Pepper

To Prepare the Fish: 
Defrost the fillets overnight in the fridge or if you are like me and forget you can place them ( in the package) in the sink full of cold water to defrost. 
Be sure to rinse them off and pat dry before sprinkling the seasoning over top. Place in a shallow baking dish or cookie sheet covered with foil or parchment paper and then squeeze fresh lemon or lime juice over each fillet. 
Let marinate for half hour in the fridge before cooking.

Preheat oven to 400F and cook fish 15-20 mins or until it flakes with a fork.

While the fish is cooking you can prepare your fixin's! My hubs isn't very keen on coleslaw so we just shredded green cabbage and carrots and sliced red onions and added diced tomatos as well.

Here is my coleslaw recipe if you like it on your tacos:
1/2 small head of Cabbage ( red or green)
1 Cup Shredded Carrots
1/4 C Plain low fat Greek Yogurt
1 3/4 Tbsp Cider Vinegar
2 Tsp Honey
Dash of Salt and Pepper

Mix all together and mix in with cabbage- Only use as much dressing as you want. Keep the rest in a container in the fridge for a couple days. 

The reason we didn't use coleslaw is because of this AWESOME Yogurt sauce that we used on our tacos instead. 

Sauce:
1/2 cup plain greek yogurt 
2 tbsp light mayonnaise 
1 tsp chili powder 
1/2 tsp cumin  

1/2 tsp garlic powder
Salt and pepper to taste ( I honestly don't use salt in things like these much but a little dash is ok for flavour
Sriracha Sauce (optional) just a dash for a little kick!


Throw it all into a bowl and mix real good! <<<--- Simply right?! 
Set aside for a few minutes before assembling tacos

Now Tortilla time! You can use Corn or Flour. You can also use small or large.  We only have Ancient Grain tortillas around and the large ones. I brushed the bottom with a little EVOO ( Olive Oil) and place in a pan. Once it started to bubble I flipped it over to get the other side and BAM they were ready! We cut them into 4 and made small tacos out of it! I won't take credit for that. That was my husbands idea! 

Immediately after the tortillas come off the pan assemble your tacos. 
Place some small chunks of the fish on to the middle of the tortilla, top with coleslaw or cabbage, carrot, onion and tomatoes, some sauce and a bit of hot sauce if you like a little more heat! 

VIOLA- Delicious at home FISH TACOS! 














Share:

No comments

Post a Comment

© Kristie Sereda Fit | All rights reserved.
Blogger Template Designed by pipdig